Re: Connection Timeout - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Mike Toews
Subject Re: Connection Timeout
Date
List pgsql-odbc
On 3 June 2010 02:01, Hiroshi Inoue <inoue@tpf.co.jp> wrote:

What kind of tool(e.g. ADO, ADO.NET on Windows) are you using?

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue

I'm using the PostgreSQL Unicode ODBC driver with Python (pyodbc) and VBA (ADO). I get the same 18 second timeout with both, regardless of what I provide in the connection string. In VBA, there is a ConnectionTimeout property, but it does not seem to have any influence, e.g.:

' With added reference Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 2.x Library
Sub test()
    Dim Conn As New ADODB.Connection
    Dim ConnStr as String
    ConnStr = "Driver={PostgreSQL Unicode};Server=123.4.5.6;Port=5432;Database=mydb;Uid=myid;Pwd=mypw;Timeout=5"
    Conn.CommandTimeout = 5
    Conn.ConnectionString = ConnStr
    Conn.Open
    Debug.Print "connected"
    Conn.Close
    Set Conn = Nothing
End Sub

It takes 15 seconds to throw an error at "Conn.Open, since the host is invalid.

pyodbc has a Connection.timeout property, but it is for query timeout.

-Mike