Re: SELECT INTO array[i] with PL/pgSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dmitriy Igrishin
Subject Re: SELECT INTO array[i] with PL/pgSQL
Date
List pgsql-general

2011/2/16 Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com>
On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 7:51 AM, Dmitriy Igrishin <dmitigr@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2011/2/15 Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com>
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 8:37 AM, Dmitriy Igrishin <dmitigr@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>> > array_agg() is more readable and clear :-P
>>
>> That's debatable, but putting that aside it's still good to learn the
>> ins and outs of array() array_agg aggregates, and array() is syntax
>> that converts set returning one column subquery into an array.  They
>> are NOT the same thing, and when nesting it's trivial to stack layers
>> with array() that is difficult/impossible with array_agg().
>>
>> merlin
>
> Please note, that OP wants array aggregate of column of table rather
> than array aggregate of composite type. So, in case of OP array_agg()
> is much cleaner and its not debatable:
>
> select into examples array_agg(value) from example;
> VS
> select array(select e from example e where row_id in (1,2,3)) into examples

er, you are not comparing apples to apples:
select into examples array_agg(value) from example;
VS
select into examples array(select value from example);

Yeah, array_agg is kinda sorta easier, but the point I was making is
that array() can be employed against a much broader array of problems,
not just when using composite types.

for example,
select f.*, array(select value from bar where foo_id = f.foo_id) as
values from foo;
vs
select f.*, array_agg(value) as values from foo group by foo.a, foo.b etc
Huh? I don't clearly understand where here "comparison of apples to apples" ?

Are completely different queries, and have non-trivial plan interactions.

merlin

--
// Dmitriy.