Re: MERGE command for inheritance - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Boxuan Zhai
Subject Re: MERGE command for inheritance
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 4:27 PM, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki.linnakangas@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
On 10/08/10 12:38, Boxuan Zhai wrote:
These days I am considering what else can be done for MERGE, And, I
find inheritance tables in postgres is not supported by our MERGE command
yet.

I played with your latest patch version a bit, and actually, it seems to me that inherited tables work just fine. I ran into the assertion failures earlier while trying that, but that has now been fixed. Can you give an example of the kind of query that's not working yet?

Well, in the patch I submitted, the target relation is forced not to scan any inheritance tables. That is, the command always acts like
MERGE into ONLY foo USING bar ....

So, the inheritance in current MERGE should not work, I think.

--
 Heikki Linnakangas
 EnterpriseDB   http://www.enterprisedb.com