Re: Binary params in libpq - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Kelly Burkhart
Subject Re: Binary params in libpq
Date
Re: Binary params in libpq  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 8:42 AM, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 7:39 PM, Craig Ringer
>> AFAIK, the `timestamp' type moved from a floating-point to an integer
>> representation internally, which would've affected the binary protocol
>> representation. That was even a compile-time config option, so it could be
>> different between two different Pg installs with the same version.
>
> Actually, this has always been a compile time option on the server as
> far as i remember and there is protocol support for it -- libpq tells
> you how it has been set...you've always had to deal with this

I don't see any libpq calls that can, at run-time, tell you things
like what format the timestamp is and what endian-ness the server is.
Is there something I'm missing?  The only thing I could figure out is
to do something like 'select 123::int4' or select a known date and
determine the nature of the server from what you get back.

-K