Re: pg_dumpall for Postgres Database Daily Backup - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: pg_dumpall for Postgres Database Daily Backup
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 9:50 AM, Wang, Mary Y <mary.y.wang@boeing.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running on Postgres 8.3.8.  My system admin is ready to set up a cron job for a daily database backup.
> By reading the documentation over here: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/backup-dump.html#BACKUP-DUMP-ALL (I
onlyfound the documentation for 8.3.10), and it looks like pg_dumpall > outfile is the best choice.  I'd like to ask
thecommunity to reconfirm.

That will work.  So will pg_dumpall | gzip > filename.gz if you want
compression.

What's more important is that you first prove your backups are working
by restoring them elsewhere, then check every month or so to make sure
they're still happening.