Re: Unable to use VIEWS (Ok button remains shaded) - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Richard Broersma
Subject Re: Unable to use VIEWS (Ok button remains shaded)
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 7:00 PM, Mladen Gogala
<mladen.gogala@vmsinfo.com> wrote:

> I always wandered why would anybody want to update a view? View is, by
> definition, a stored query which is executed frequently enough to be given
> its own first name, middle name and a family name.

I understand the practicality of what you're saying.  However, I'm
curious about where your definition of views comes from.  My
understanding is that update-able views were concepts of Codd's
original relational model and such views are also part of the SQL
standard.

And since "PostgreSQL prides itself in standards compliance...,"
(http://www.postgresql.org/about/) I wouldn't expect to see
update-able views on the features *not* to do list any time soon.
(http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo#Features_We_Do_Not_Want)

Although I do see planner hints are one of the features listed there.

--
Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.

http://pugs.postgresql.org/lapug