Re: Looking for auto starting procedures - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Cédric Villemain
Subject Re: Looking for auto starting procedures
Date
Re: Looking for auto starting procedures  (<mabra@manfbraun.de>)
List pgsql-general
2010/12/2  <mabra@manfbraun.de>:
> Hello !
>
> And thanks to all, for answers.
>
> Naturally, cron does not operate on DB tables and if I add/remove/change
> a line in a control table dynamically, cron would not notice that ;-)
> So I had to write a daemon, which acts on that table. This might happen
> about ~5 - 20 seconds and cron is operates on minutes only.

Perhaps you are trying to solve something with SQL server behavior and
you may find more interesting ways "à la PostgreSQL".

I wonder if you are not looking after something like PgQ[1] or LISTEN/NOTIFY [2]

> An auto running stored procedure would solve the problem, if therewould be
> a way to run this procedure on server startup automatically
> [as it looks, write another daemon for this].

on server start ?! no daemon is necesary.

> The usual notification from postgreSQL does not allow to write
> an [own, better to evaluate] identifier in the syslog. This is
> not a matter of the syslog daemon, its on the program which logs.
> May be, I have just not found this.

Maybe you need to adjust your 'roles' [3] so that log lines can be
identified to your role.

Maybe you'll have better answers if you define your objectives.

[1] http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PGQ_Tutorial
[2] http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/sql-notify.html
[3] http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/sql-createrole.html