Re: Streaming base backups - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Streaming base backups
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 23:27, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri@2ndquadrant.fr> wrote:

>>> Well, I would guess that if you're streaming the WAL files in parallel
>>> while the base backup is taken, then you're able to have it all without
>>> archiving setup, and the server could still recycling them.
>>
>> Yes, this was mostly for the use-case of "getting a single tarfile
>> that you can actually use to restore from without needing the log
>> archive at all".
>
> It also allows for a simpler kick-start procedure for preparing a
> standby, and allows to stop worrying too much about wal_keep_segments
> and archive servers.
>
> When do the standby launch its walreceiver? It would be extra-nice for
> the base backup tool to optionally continue streaming WALs until the
> standby starts doing it itself, so that wal_keep_segments is really
> deprecated.  No idea how feasible that is, though.

I think that's we're inventing a whole lot of complexity that may not
be necessary at all. Let's do it the simple way and see how far we can
get by with that one - we can always improve this for 9.2

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/