Re: warning message in standby - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fujii Masao
Subject Re: warning message in standby
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 1:01 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
> We're talking about a corrupt record (incorrect CRC, incorrect backlink
> etc.), not errors within redo functions. During crash recovery, a corrupt
> record means you've reached end of WAL. In standby mode, when streaming WAL
> from master, that shouldn't happen, and it's not clear what to do if it
> does. PANIC is not a good idea, at least if the server uses hot standby,
> because that only makes the situation worse from availability point of view.
> So we log the error as a WARNING, and keep retrying. It's unlikely that the
> problem will just go away, but we keep retrying anyway in the hope that it
> does. However, it seems that we're too aggressive with the retries.

Right. The attached patch calms down the retries: if we found an invalid
record while streaming WAL from master, we sleep for 5 seconds (needs to
be reduced?) before retrying to replay the record which is in the same
location where the invalid one was found. Comments?

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center