Re: Spread checkpoint sync - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Cédric Villemain
Subject Re: Spread checkpoint sync
Date
List pgsql-hackers
2011/1/18 Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com>:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>
>> Should we be writing until 2:30 then sleep 30 seconds and fsync at 3:00?
>>

> The idea of having a dead period doing no work at all between write phase
> and sync phase may have some merit.  I don't have enough test data yet on
> some more fundamental issues in this area to comment on whether that smaller
> optimization would be valuable.  It may be a worthwhile concept to throw
> into the sequencing.

Are we able to have some pause without strict rules like 'stop for 30
sec' ? (case : my hardware is very good and I can write 400MB/sec with
no interrupt, XXX IOPS)

I wonder if we are not going to have issue with  "RAID firmware + BBU
+ linux scheduler" because we are adding 'unexpected' behavior in the
middle.