Re: hstore ==> and deprecate => - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: hstore ==> and deprecate =>
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 7:27 PM, David E. Wheeler <david@kineticode.com> wrote:
> We don't have a slice operator for arrays; would we be happy with %> being such an operator in a future version? And,
doesthe spec say anything about array operators?

Personally, I don't find any of these proposals terribly intuitive.

You know we don't really need an operator at all. slice(hash,
array[1,2,3]) seems like not much typing overhead over hash %
array[1,2,3] and clearer to boot. The only real advantage to having
operators is for operators used to define opclasses. I can't see this
ever being used in such a circumstance (but perhaps I'm not
imaginative enough for GIST indexes these days) so unless there's a
clear analogy to some basic operator that makes code clearer I would
suggest it's not really buying us anything to define an operator name
at all.

--
greg