Re: Doubt with role creation - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Manuel Rivero
Subject Re: Doubt with role creation
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 4:46 PM, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
On 18 October 2010 15:39, Manuel Rivero <trikitrok@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> First of all, thank you very much for your answer..
>
> I followed your advise and changed the pg_hba.conf to use of md5 instead of
> ident.
>
> Now I don't get that error,but I'm afraid I'm getting a different one..
>
> This is what I did after changing pg_hba.conf:
>
> CREATE ROLE db_admin LOGIN PASSWORD 'dbAdmin' CREATEDB CREATEROLE
> NOSUPERUSER;
> CREATE ROLE
> postgres=# \q
>
> Now when I try to to login
> postgres@linux-2dqb:> psql -U db_admin -W
> Contraseña para usuario db_admin:
> psql: FATAL:  no existe la base de datos «db_admin»
>
> Traslated:
> psql: FATAL:  the database «db_admin» does not exist
>
> Why is it necessary to have a database for a new user?
>
> I just wanted to have a user different to postgres to work with.

Hi Manuel,

(Please use "Reply to all" when replying as the list should be copied
back in so everyone can see your response.  And try to put your

By default, psql will attempt to connect to a database with the same
name as a user.  This obviously isn't what you want in this case, so
you need to specify the database name:

psql -U db_admin -W your_database

So the database name appears as the last parameter, or you can use "-d
your_database" instead if it helps make it clearer.

Regards

Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion
IRC (freenode): dark_ixion