Re: BUG #5585: SSL problems with long COPYs - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Alex Hunsaker
Subject Re: BUG #5585: SSL problems with long COPYs
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 14:02, Karl Denninger <karl@denninger.net> wrote:

> (Whether Postgress 9's internal replication will solve this for me when it
> is released is something I'm not sure about - I think the answer is "no",
> since if I'm reading the docs correctly Postgres 9 requires that both master
> and slave be in sync via some other method before the replication is enabled

Not only that, but you cant sync certain tables or databases.
However, I have had great success with a simple:
select pg_start_backup();
... rsync database dir to slave, fixup postgresql.conf,recovery.conf
select pg_stop_backup();

That lets you "sync" up the slave with 0 downtime. (the io from rsync
can be a problem tho)