Re: Shell script to Backup/Dump Database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thom Brown
Subject Re: Shell script to Backup/Dump Database
Date
List pgsql-general
On 12 May 2010 17:02, Andre Lopes <lopes80andre@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

I will test today.

There are some good practices that I should do? For example, I have this database in a shared hosting, should I add the functionality of send the dumps by FTP to my PC once a week? Give some more ideias to avoid data loss in case of disaster.

Best Regards,

Can you afford to lose 6 days worth of data?  If not, get it to send backups to another place on a daily basis.  You can always add in an scp step to the script to copy to another unix box, bearing in mind you'll need to add the ssh key for the user on your shared host to ~/.ssh/authorized_hosts at your destination.  Or just use FTP like you mentioned.

Thom