Temporal'sh type sql question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Angus Miller
Subject Temporal'sh type sql question
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi

I have a table that models data in a temporal fashion. I say temporal
fashion as I'm not sure I got this 100% right buy here goes. Basically
each record has a date_from and date_to column. The date_from column
always defaults to the current system date. The date_to column is
either a far future value or the date that that records life-cycle
ended.

For simplicities sake lets say I'm recording some configuration data
that is relatively static. Now there is a need to report on the
changes per day. The temporal data is only storing new events when
they happen, maybe one every 10-15 days.

How can I generate result-set that will carry the previous records
values through till a new event occurred so there is a record for each
"day"?

Cheers
Angus