Re: How to use pgbouncer - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Filip Rembiałkowski
Subject Re: How to use pgbouncer
Date
List pgsql-general
2010/12/21 Adarsh Sharma <adarsh.sharma@orkash.com>:
> Dear all,
>
> I am not able to find any useful document regarding Configuration and
> Running Pgbouncer with Postgres-8.4.2.

that's strange, there are several good pages on the web; there is also
my mini-howto:
http://filip.rembialkowski.net/pgbouncer-mini-howto-benchmark/

> How it helps and is it able to boost some performance ?

PgBouncer is a connection pooler. I wonder why do you want to use it,
if you don't know what it is?

it can help in many ways, two most obvious points:
- reduce number of postgres backends (more resources for the server)
- reduce cost of single connection from the application to postgres

> Or if there is another useful tool available for Connection Pooling. Please
> guide me for this.

yes there are some; see
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Replication,_Clustering,_and_Connection_Pooling

it depends on what you need. pgbouncer is the smallest and most
lightweight pooler available.

FR