Sync Rep and shutdown Re: Sync Rep v19 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fujii Masao
Subject Sync Rep and shutdown Re: Sync Rep v19
Date
Re: Sync Rep and shutdown Re: Sync Rep v19
Re: Sync Rep and shutdown Re: Sync Rep v19
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 2:14 PM, Jaime Casanova <jaime@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 11:58 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> The fast shutdown handling seems fine, but why not just handle smart
>> shutdown the same way?
>
> currently, smart shutdown means no new connections, wait until
> existing ones close normally. for consistency, it should behave the
> same for sync rep.

Agreed. I think that user who wants to request smart shutdown expects all
the existing connections to basically be closed normally by the client. So it
doesn't seem to be good idea to forcibly close the connection and prevent
the COMMIT from being returned in smart shutdown case. But I'm all ears
for better suggestions.

Anyway, we got the consensus about how fast shutdown should work with
sync rep. So I created the patch. Please feel free to comment and commit
the patch first ;)

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao