Re: Rectifying wrong Date outputs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Rectifying wrong Date outputs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 9:57 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

>>> Yeah, seems reasonable.
>
>> On the flip side, what if you want to allow either a two digit year or
>> a four digit year?  It doesn't seem unreasonable to allow YY to
>> emcompass what YYYY would have allowed, unless there's a separate
>> notion for 'either YY or YYYY'.
>
> What I was thinking was that YYYY would take either 2 or 4 digits.
> Whatever you do here, the year will have to be delimited by a non-digit
> for such cases to be parseable.

I was assuming a slightly more general variant of that - namely, Y,
YY, or YYY would all accept that many digits, or more; and the result
of Y with 2, 3, or 4 digits would be the same as if YY, YYY, or YYYY,
respectively, had been used.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company