Config Changes Broke Postgres Service (Windows) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Wilcox
Subject Config Changes Broke Postgres Service (Windows)
Date
Re: Config Changes Broke Postgres Service (Windows)  (Alban Hertroys <dalroi@solfertje.student.utwente.nl>)
List pgsql-general
Hi,

I am fighting with Postgres on a 64-bit Windows (Server 2008) machine with 96GB trying to get it to use as much memory as possible (I am the only user and I am running complex queries on large tables). [See my previous thread for details "Out of Memory and Configuration Problems (Big Computer)"].

I have changed my postgres.conf file by changing the values of shared_buffers to 1024, work_mem = 1024 and effective_cache_size=2703601.

Now my postgres service wont start from the windows Services dialog, however using pgAdmin I can start the service and connect to my database, run queries etc.

So my problem is that Windows no longer seems to think my postgres service is running even though it appears to be working fine through a client..

Can anyone tell me what might be going on and how I can fix it so that postgres uses as much memory and processing power as poss... in a stable manner?

Cheers,
Tom

P.S. Sorry if this is a repeat but I have been searching for an answer to this for a LONG time (>3months).