Re: Migrating a live database - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Vladimir Rusinov
Subject Re: Migrating a live database
Date
Re: Migrating a live database  (Scott Ribe <scott_ribe@elevated-dev.com>)
List pgsql-admin

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 8:07 AM, Vladislav Geller <vladislav.geller@vincorex.ch> wrote:
Hello,

I'm currently in the process of migrating a huge live database from one part of the world to the other (for local use and data analysis). The bandwidth does not allow me to get a decent transfer speed. Furthermore i can not migrate during business hours since the connection is critical. This leaves me with a timeframe of 9 hours a day where i can migrate this database. Does anyone have experience he is willing to share in respect how to migrate such databases?

run pg_start_backup() and use rsync on live data files to transfer them.
If sync won't finish in 9 hours, abort it, run pg_stop_backup() and continue next day - I assume most of the data won't change, so rsync won't re-transfer it (but will calculate hash and compare).

--
Vladimir Rusinov
http://greenmice.info/