Re: Change pg_last_xlog_receive_location not to move backwards - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Change pg_last_xlog_receive_location not to move backwards
Date
Re: Change pg_last_xlog_receive_location not to move backwards  (Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 2:40 AM, Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 4:24 PM, Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com> wrote:
>> So I'm thinking to change pg_last_xlog_receive_location not to
>> move backwards.
>
> The attached patch does that.

It looks to me like this is changing more than just the return value
of pg_last_xlog_receive_location.  receivedUpto isn't only used for
that one function, and there's no explanation in your email or in the
patch of why the new behavior is correct and/or better for the other
places where it's used.

This email from Heikki seems to indicate that there's a reason for the
current behavior:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-06/msg00586.php

--
Robert Haas