Re: [BUGS] Measuring execution time - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: [BUGS] Measuring execution time
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 3:46 AM, vamsi krishna
<vamsikrishna1902@gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to measure the execution time spent running an SQL select query after
> the plan generation.
>
> So precisely I want to put my start timer before createQueryDesc() or
> ExecutorStart() and end timer after freeQueryDesc() or ExecutorEnd().
>
> Right now I did so in "spi.c", "explain.c", "pquery.c" but they are not the
> default execution cases. Can someone tell me which file holds the default
> call to ExecutorStart(), because I also want to see the select query result
> unlike in the case of "explain" ?

Well, you should be able to find all the calls to ExecutorStart() by
using grep.  But it sounds like you might be better off implementing
this as an executor hook.  Or perhaps one of the existing ones
(auto_explain or pg_stat_statements) would give you what you need.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company