Re: Please help me write a query - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Nikolas Everett
Subject Re: Please help me write a query
Date
List pgsql-general
Sorry.  Here is the setup:
CREATE TABLE test (id BIGSERIAL PRIMARY KEY, state1 INT NOT NULL, state2 INT NOT NULL, timestamp TIMESTAMP);
INSERT INTO test (state1, state2, timestamp) VALUES (1, 1, now() - interval '12 hours');
INSERT INTO test (state1, state2, timestamp) VALUES (1, 2, now() - interval '11 hours');
INSERT INTO test (state1, state2, timestamp) VALUES (1, 1, now() - interval '10 hours');
INSERT INTO test (state1, state2, timestamp) VALUES (2, 1, now() - interval '9 hours');
INSERT INTO test (state1, state2, timestamp) VALUES (1, 1, now() - interval '8 hours');

I want to write a query that spits out:
 state1 |         timestamp
      1 | now() - interval '12 hours'
      2 | now() - interval '9 hours'
      1 | now() - interval '8 hours'

Standard grouping destroys the third row so that's out.  No grouping at all gives repeats of state1.  Is this what partitioning is for?

Nik

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 10:20 AM, Ozz Nixon <ozznixon@gmail.com> wrote:
Lost me a bit, do you mean DISTINCT?

select distinct state1, first(timestamp) from table????