Re: check constraint on insert but not delete - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Broersma
Subject Re: check constraint on insert but not delete
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 8:03 AM, Gauthier, Dave <dave.gauthier@intel.com> wrote:

> Is there a way to require that a check constraint be checked on insert but
> not update?    Worth knowing is that my check constraint runs a PLPgsql proc
> which returns a yes/no kinf of flag which the constraint proper checks.
I think by definition, Check constraints cannot differentiate between
an update or insert.  Its only concern is if the data is valid or not.

If you need this flexibility, you should probably look at check constraints:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/interactive/sql-createconstraint.html

--
Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.