Re: Count backend self-sync calls - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Count backend self-sync calls
Date
Re: Count backend self-sync calls
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 5:07 PM, Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> The patch also adds some logging to the innards involved here, to help with
> understanding problems in this area.  I don't think that should be in the
> version committed as is.  May want to drop the logging level or make it
> disabled in regular builds, since it is sitting somewhere it generates a lot
> of log data and adds overhead.

I think this one could be removed:

+    if (n > 0)
+        elog(DEBUG1,"Absorbing %d fsync requests",n);

But if this is generating a lot of log data or adding a lot of
overhead, then you have bigger problems anyway:

+        elog(DEBUG1, "Unable to forward fsync request, executing directly");

I'm inclined to change that to an ereport(), but otherwise it seems
OK.  Also, how about referring to this as buffers_backend_fsync
consistently throughout, instead of dropping the "f" in some places?

With those changes, I think this is committable, and will do so,
barring objections.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company