Re: CONSTRAINT does not show when applying a EXCLUDE constraint - Mailing list pgsql-general

From InterRob
Subject Re: CONSTRAINT does not show when applying a EXCLUDE constraint
Date
List pgsql-general
Sorry: that is because the major part of my E-mail got chopped off... Herewith I am resending it:

Dear list,

To rule out any double combination of two identifiers, in any order, I applied the following constraint to a table:

CREATE TABLE test(
  object_id INTEGER,
  subject_id INTEGER,
  CONSTRAINT "EXCL_double_combi" EXCLUDE USING btree (imm_LEAST(subject_id, object_id) WITH =, imm_GREATEST(subject_id, object_id) WITH =)
);

The imm_xxxxx functions are IMMUTABLE wrappers around LEAST() and GREATEST() respectively, in order to get the index to work...

pgsql Command "\d test" produces the following:
       Table "public.test"
   Column   |  Type   | Modifiers
------------+---------+-----------
 object_id  | integer |
 subject_id | integer |
    "EXCL_double_combi" EXCLUDE USING btree (imm_least(subject_id, object_id) WITH =, imm_greatest(subject_id, object_id) WITH =)

As I read it, an indexed in indeed being maintained, however it is not regarded a CONSTRAINT... Yet, the set-up works as like a charm :)) This online example shows a different summary:
Would this be an earlier / older version of PostgreSQL? I'm running 9.0.2, on Windows 7

By the way: has any one experience using EXCLUDE constraint inside Enterprise Architect? Since this is a pretty new database feature, it seems not yet supported by EA?

Looking forward to any of you sharing your experiences,
kind regards,

Rob

2010/12/27 Richard Broersma <richard.broersma@gmail.com>
On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 8:31 AM, Rob Marjot <rob@marjot-multisoft.com> wrote:
> Dear list,
> To rule out any double combination of two identifiers, in any order, I
> applied the following constraint to a table:
> CREATE TABLE test(object_id INTEGER, subject_id INTEGER, CONSTRAINT

I don't see the definition of your constraint.

--
Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.