Re: Parallel make problem with git master - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Parallel make problem with git master
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 10:28 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> I wrote:
>> I think what is happening here is that make launches concurrent sub-jobs
>> to do "make install" in each of interfaces/libpq and interfaces/ecpg,
>> and the latter launches a sub-sub-job to do "make all" in
>> interfaces/libpq, and make has no idea that these are duplicate sub-jobs
>> so it actually tries to run both concurrently.  Whereupon you get all
>> sorts of fun failures.  I'm not sure if there is any cure that's not
>> worse than the disease.
>
> BTW, how many people here have read "Recursive Make Considered Harmful"?
>
> http://aegis.sourceforge.net/auug97.pdf
>
> Because what we're presently doing looks mighty similar to what he's
> saying doesn't work and can't be made to work.

I'm not sure whether it makes sense to go that far or not.  But I
think it'd make sense to at least try this for the backend.  It does
seem pretty silly to have a Makefile in every single directory.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company