Re: Sync Rep for 2011CF1 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Sync Rep for 2011CF1
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 14:24, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-01-21 at 14:45 +0200, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>> * it seems like overkill to not let clients to even connect when
>> allow_standalone_primary=off and no synchronous standbys are available.
>> What if you just want to run a read-only query?
>
> That's what Aidan requested, I agreed and so its there. You're using
> sync rep because of writes, so you have a read-write app. If you allow
> connections then half of the app will work, half will not. Half-working
> isn't very useful, as Aidan eloquently explained. If your app is all
> read-only you wouldn't be using sync rep anyway. That's the argument,
> but I've not got especially strong feelings it has to be this way.
>
> Perhaps discuss that on a separate thread? See what everyone thinks?

I'll respond here once, and we'll see if more people want to comment
then we can move it :-)

Doesn't this make a pretty strange assumption - namely that you have a
single application? We support multiple databases, and multiple users,
and multiple pretty much anything - in most cases, people deploy
multiple apps. (They may well be part of the same "solution" or
whatever you want to call it, but parts may well be readonly - like a
reporting app, or even just a monitoring client)

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/