Re: Error code for "terminating connection due to conflict with recovery" - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Error code for "terminating connection due to conflict with recovery"
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 8:42 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Any opinion on what to do about the one that's returning ERRCODE_ADMIN_SHUTDOWN?
>
> Pretty much the same argument here, I think: if we are going to change
> the SQLSTATE we should do it now not later.  However, I think Simon
> was actually arguing to not change this one either now or later, and
> that might also be a defensible position.
>
> BTW, so far as this goes:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2011-01/msg01152.php
> we should certainly *not* have the same text for two different
> SQLSTATEs.  If it's worth distinguishing two cases then it's worth
> providing different texts that make it clear what the cases are.

Well, then we either need to change the error codes to be the same, or
the texts to be different.

The only case in which we emit ERRCODE_ADMIN_SHUTDOWN is when the
database gets dropped out from underneath the HS backend.  I don't
think it's worth having a separate path just to handle that case; if
the user retries the operation it should quickly become clear that the
database is gone.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company