Re: Runnning operating system commands from an SPL - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Atif Jung
Subject Re: Runnning operating system commands from an SPL
Date
Re: Runnning operating system commands from an SPL  (John Gage <jsmgage@numericable.fr>)
List pgsql-novice
Thanks Adreas, I understand now. Like I mentioned I have several pgSQL stored procedures which access the OS and need to be rewritten in perlu.

The problem is I have no knowledge of perl at all. Can you direct me to a quick and easy to get to grips with resource online?
Thanks again

Atif

--
Words of Wisdom
=============

George Bernard Shaw, the British playwright said:

“The world is in dire need of a man with the mind of Muhammad; religious people in the Middle Ages, due to their ignorance and prejudice, had pictured him in a very dark way as they used to consider him the enemy of Christianity. But after looking into the story of this man I found it to be an amazing and a miraculous one and I came to the conclusion that he was never an enemy of Christianity, and must be called instead the saviour of humanity. In my opinion, if he was to be given control over the world today, he would solve our problems and secure the peace and happiness for which the world is longing.”

On 17 June 2010 16:37, Andreas Kretschmer <akretschmer@spamfence.net> wrote:
Atif Jung <atifjung@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry I don't understand. I am porting over some stored procedures from
> INFORMIX to POSTGRES. Some seem to port over OK, but the first problem I am
> encountering is the lack of SYSTEM command in POSTGRES.

That's right.

> I don't understand what you mean by using an untrusted programming language.

We have several internal languages, for instance plpgsql, plperl and
plperlu. Some of them are so called 'trusted languages', for instance
plpgsql. With a trusted language you can't operate outside the pg-system
(no access to the underlaying operating system), with untrusted
languages like plperlu you have access.

> The stored procedure is written in PL/pgSQL, are you suggesting to rewrite it
> in PERL, excuse me for my ignorance.

Right, if you really needs that. But you should reconsider your idea,
see Tom's answer.

Andreas
unintentional side effect.                              (Linus Torvalds)
"If I was god, I would recompile penguin with --enable-fly."   (unknown)
Kaufbach, Saxony, Germany, Europe.              N 51.05082°, E 13.56889°