Re: Why facebook used mysql ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sandeep Srinivasa
Subject Re: Why facebook used mysql ?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 10:31 AM, Richard Broersma <richard.broersma@gmail.com> wrote:
The following link contains hundreds of comments that you may be
interested in, some that address issues that are much more interesting
and well established:

http://search.postgresql.org/search?q=mysql+performance&m=1&l=NULL&d=365&s=r&p=1

I did actually try to search for topics on multiple cores vs MySQL, but I wasnt able to find anything of much use. Elsewhere (on Hacker News for example), I have indeed come across statements that PG scales better on multiple cores, which are usually offset by claims that MySQL is better.

Google isnt of much use for this either - while MySQL has several resources talking about  benchmarks/tuning on multi core servers (e.g. http://dimitrik.free.fr/blog/archives/2010/09/mysql-performance-55-notes.html), I cant find any such serious discussion on Postgresql

However, what I did find (http://www.pgcon.org/2008/schedule/events/72.en.html) was titled "Problems with PostgreSQL on Multi-core Systems with Multi-Terabyte Data"  (interestingly, published by the Postgresql Performance Team @ Sun)

Ergo, my question still stands - maybe my google-fu was bad... why is why I am asking for help.

regards
Sandeep