Re: Covert database from ASCII to UTF-8 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vick Khera
Subject Re: Covert database from ASCII to UTF-8
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 11:53 AM, Jeff Amiel <becauseimjeff@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I assume slony replication is an option.....

this is my plan, once i finish cleaning up the code and the DB data.
you have to ensure that whatever the original DB emits (in the form of
COPY and individual updates later on) will import correctly into the
new DB without error, else you're hosed.

also, I'd do it one table at a time rather than all at once, to
minimize failure cases if there is a problem with one table.

> What about some sort of wal log shipping replication?

I don't think you can do that.  This is a binary replication that
copies disk pages.