Re: BUG #5621: Insufficient locking of dependent objects - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: BUG #5621: Insufficient locking of dependent objects
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 2:15 PM, Caleb Welton <cwelton@greenplum.com> wrote:
> There is a general class of concurrency bugs related to insufficient
> locking
> of dependent objects. =A0This can occur with just about any inter-object
> dependency that exists in the system:
>
> =A0Creating a table while dropping the schema it is in
> =A0Creating a table while dropping a type it depends on
> =A0Creating a function while dropping the language
> =A0Creating an aggregate while dropping the transition function.
> =A0Etc.

More specifically, I think the bug is that we don't really do much
locking on database objects other than tables.  This would be good to
fix, but probably we'd need to start by coming up with a coherent
overall plan.

--=20
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company