Re: Weird XFS WAL problem - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Weird XFS WAL problem
Date
Re: Weird XFS WAL problem  (Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 12:40 PM, Kevin Grittner
<Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov> wrote:

> Yeah, I read that long ago and I've disabled write barriers because
> of it; however, it still seems wrong that the RAID controller
> insists on flushing to the drives in write-back mode.  Here are my
> reasons for wishing it was otherwise:

I think it's a case of the quickest, simplest answer to semi-new tech.
 Not sure what to do with barriers?  Just flush the whole cache.

I'm guessing that this will get optimized in the future.

BTW, I'll have LSI Megaraid latest and greatest to test on in a month,
and older Areca 1680s as well. I'll be updating the firmware on the
arecas, and I'll run some tests on the whole barrier behaviour to see
if it's gotten any better lately.