Re: patch: to_string, to_array functions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: patch: to_string, to_array functions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 2:28 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah, I'd like some more votes, too.  Aside from what I suggested
> (array_join/array_split), I think my favorite is your #5.

-1 for me for any name that is of the form of:
type_operation();

we don't have bytea_encode, array_unnest(), date_to_char(), etc.  the
non-internal ones that we do have (mostly array funcs), are improperly
named imo.  this is sql, not c.  suppose we want to extend string
serialization to row types?

why not serialize/unserialize?

merlin