Re: problem about postgresql installation and user login - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Daniel J. Summers
Subject Re: problem about postgresql installation and user login
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 10:55 PM, somnathzankar <zankarsomnath@gmail.com> wrote:

> $ sudo su - postgres
> No directory, logging in with HOME=/
>
> so when I'm trying to install postgresql then above warning got to me and it
> install.
> but when I'm trying to login by postgres user then above error it shows.

This just means that the directory /home/postgres wasn't created
during installation.  I don't think that's a huge problem, though you
may want to let the package maintainer about that.  Despite that
message, you should be logged it as "postgres" and should be able to
begin creating databases.

> I'm new on ubuntu and openerp so please help we.
> OS----->Debian

Ubuntu != Debian.  :)  It's based on it, but the package repositories
are different.  So, some advice you read online for Ubuntu may apply
to straight Debian, but some may not.  In Ubuntu, the "postgresql"
package is a meta-package, pointing to the latest version (at this
time, "postgresql-8.4" - Ubuntu can be slow to roll to new major
versions).

--
Daniel J. Summers
Owner, DJS Consulting

GEEKCODE 3.12 GCS/IT d s-:+ a C++ P--- L++ E--- W++ N++ o? K- w !O M--
V PS+ PE++ Y? PGP- t+ 5? X+ R* tv b+ DI++ D+ G- e<++ h---- r+++ y++++