Re: Re: patch: fix performance problems with repated decomprimation of varlena values in plpgsql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: Re: patch: fix performance problems with repated decomprimation of varlena values in plpgsql
Date
List pgsql-hackers
2011/1/19 Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 5:22 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
>> opinion isn't strong in this topic. One or twenty useless detoasting
>> isn't really significant in almost use cases (problem is thousands
>> detoasting).
>
> Yeah.  Many-times-repeated detoasting is really bad, and this is not
> the only place in the backend where we have this problem.  :-(

???

some general solution can be pretty hardcore - some like handlers
instead pointers on varlena :(

I know mainly about plpgsql performance problems - but it is my
interes. Plpgsql can be simply fixed - maybe 10 maybe less lines of
code.

Pavel