Re: functional call named notation clashes with SQL feature - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: functional call named notation clashes with SQL feature
Date
Re: functional call named notation clashes with SQL feature  (Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 3:02 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> No, that really isn't going to work: how will the parser know that the
> names are not meant to match to actual named parameters of the function?
> You could possibly do it with a special case for hstore() in the
> grammar, but we aren't going there, because it wouldn't be extensible.

I wonder if we could offer something like VARIADIC but allows
arbitrarily named parameters which get passed in a hstore-like hash
instead of an array. Just thinking aloud here. I haven't thought about
what this would mean in the function call api.

--
greg