Re: warning message in standby - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: warning message in standby
Date
Re: warning message in standby  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 13:11, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:

>> > I am thinking about log monitoring tools like Nagios. ?I am afraid
>> > they are never going to pick up something tagged WARNING, no matter
>>
>> If they are properly configured, I imagine they would. And if they're
>> not, well, there's not much for us to do.
>
> What does that mean?

It means that we can't prevent people from configuring their tools to
ignore important warning. We can't prevent them rom ignoring ERROR or
FATAL either...

>> (What would be more usful then would be to separate "user-warnings"
>> like warnings about cast from actual system-warnings like this, but
>> that's a whole different story)
>>
>> > what the wording is. ?Crazy idea, but can we force a fatal error line
>> > into the logs with something like "WARNING ...\nFATAL: ...".
>>
>> That's way too crazy :P And btw, randomly sticking newlines into that
>> will mess up *most* log displayers and I bet a lot of the log
>> monitoring tools as well...
>
> Yeah, it would mess up CSV log output, for example?

Possibly. And your general syslog output would become pretty hard to
read once this kind of stuff shows up.