Re: superuser unable to modify settings of a system table - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Gurjeet Singh
Subject Re: superuser unable to modify settings of a system table
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 1:02 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Gurjeet Singh <singh.gurjeet@gmail.com> writes:
> > On PG 8.4.4 I am unable to set per-table autovacuum setting for the
> > pg_listener table. Being a superuser, I'd expect Postgres to allow me to
> do
> > that.
>
> See allow_system_table_mods.  Even superusers should think twice before
> fooling with system catalogs...

:) Well, I assume a lot of thought does go into the process of altering the
system table, but when it is needed, it is really needed.

In the setup that I am handling right now, LISTEN/NOTIFY gets used a lot,
and allowing autovacuum to manage it with default settings is really counter
productive.

allow_system_table_mods needs a restart :( .Yet another parameter I wish was
changeable on the fly.

Regards,
--
gurjeet.singh