Re: PG list sub-syndication on the web - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: PG list sub-syndication on the web
Date
List pgsql-www
On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 4:31 PM, Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> After sending out a cranky reminder about list policy to pgsql-jobs, I got
> an private request for a policy clarification I've realized I don't have a
> clear answer to.  The company is a tech job aggregator publishing a web site
> that lists jobs.  They would like to syndicate material posted to pgsql-jobs
> that is also appropriate for what they list, essentially filter out the
> subset that matches their critera, and then publish them on their site along
> with related tech jobs (sys admins, developers, etc.)
>
> This would expand the number of people PostgreSQL jobs were put in front of,
> which seems like a good thing.  But it's not just a straight republication
> like a RSS feed copy, so it could be considered misleading if people think
> they're seeing the whole pgsql-jobs list there.  That also makes them a
> little different from places like markmail and nabble, who are just
> mirroring the lists wholesale.  Not everyone who posts to pgsql-jobs may
> want to see their note syndicated like that.  I was thinking that at a
> minimum, we'd request that they include a link to the original message in
> our archives that people can follow.
>
> Thought?  I'm keeping the service name private for now because I respect
> that they are asking about the policies here, rather than just doing
> something we might get mad about later without asking.  That's a better way
> to start than most of the odd list ideas I see people run with.

I don't think we're in a position to dictate how people may or may not
resyndicate pgsql-jobs or, for that matter, any of our mailing lists.
We don't own the copyrights to any emails posted there.  I agree that
a link back to the original message in our archives does seem nice
though, if they're willing to do it.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company