Re: postgreSQL enquiry - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thom Brown
Subject Re: postgreSQL enquiry
Date
List pgsql-general

Please see: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/datatype.html

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/intro-whatis.html

> - allows for a web-based end (web 2.0)
That's less to do with the database system and more to do with
whatever you're building your web-based interface with.  Pretty much
all languages have support for PostgreSQL.

>    - fully searchable by anyone from anywhere and allows for heavy traffic

Again, who it's searchable by and from where isn't really to do with
the database system.  You'd be the one setting that up.  And "heavy
traffic" is a bit vague, but it is certainly used by many companies in
high traffic environments.

>    - compatible with web-based applications on mobile devices etc
>    - allows for a custom version of this site for managers where they can
> perform internal functions (e.g. billing, commission etc)

Nothing to do with databases themselves really.  They'll all do this
if you write something to do it.

> - 2 main users in different cities
> - with approximately $250,000 budget for hardware and software

PostgreSQL is completely free and runs extremely well when configured
appropriately for your hardware and the types of data/queries you'll
store/use in it.

Regards

Thom