Re: oracle to postgres migration question - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: oracle to postgres migration question
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 2:19 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> * Bruce Momjian (bruce@momjian.us) wrote:
>> Joshua Gooding wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I'm looking for the postgres equivalent of oracles: set numwidth
>> > command.  Is there an equivalent?
>>
>> If we knew what it did, we might be able to help you.
>
> Changes the display-width for numeric values.  SQL*Plus will then
> right-justify the number based on the numwidth value.

Note that psql automagically right justifies numerics and dynamically
sizes all columns so you don't have to do as much of this stuff.
Oracle always made me feel like I was operating the machine behind the
curtain in the Wizard of Oz, lots of handles and switches and knobs I
had to mess with to get useful output.