Re: Generating Lots of PKs with nextval(): A Feature Proposal - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Generating Lots of PKs with nextval(): A Feature Proposal
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 5:04 PM, hubert depesz lubaczewski
<depesz@depesz.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 02:07:27PM -0500, Kenneth Marshall wrote:
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> All you need to do is define your own sequence with an
>> increment of 500. Look at:
>>
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/sql-createsequence.html
>
> This is often not enough. For example - I want standard increment of 1,
> but right now I'm importing 10000 objects, and it would be simpler for
> me to get 10000 ids. Preferably in one block.
>
> This is not achievable now. I know I can 'alter sequence set increment
> by' - but this will also affect concurrent sessions. which might not be
> a problem, but it's a side effect that I don't want.
>
> +1 for original proposition, would love to get it.

If we do this, I'm inclined to think that the extra argument to
nextval() should be treated as overriding the base increment rather
than specifying a multiplier for it.  Other than that nitpick, it
sounds like a reasonable thing to allow.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company