Re: WIP: Range Types - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: WIP: Range Types
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 6:06 PM, Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com> wrote:
> If we use timestamps, then that's 8 bytes each, meaning 16 bytes. Then,
> there is the VARHDRSZ (now we're at 20), the flag byte (21), and the
> range type oid (25). With alignment (if it's aligned at all), that's
> either 28 or 32 bytes, which is starting to seem ridiculous.

It'll use the 1-byte varlena header format, which is unaligned.  So
you'll end up with 8 + 8 + 2 bytes = 18 bytes, unaligned.  Maybe you
could cram that down to 17 bytes unaligned with sufficient work, but
I'm not sure it's worth the complexity.  If you end up having to
include the type OID though that's pretty horrible; it adds another 4
bytes.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company