Re: Avoiding timeline generation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Daniel Farina
Subject Re: Avoiding timeline generation
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 12:38 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
> On 25.03.2011 03:00, Daniel Farina wrote:
>>
>> Here is the mechanism:  I want to author a recovery.conf to perform
>> some amount of restore_command or streaming replication based
>> recovery, but I do *not* want to generate a new timeline.  Rather, I
>> want to stay in hot standby mode to allow read-only connections.
>
> That's exactly what the standby mode is for. Add "standby_mode=on" to
> recovery.conf, and the server will do exactly that.
>
> Perhaps the documentation is not clear on this. Any suggestions on how to
> improve that?

I was actually pretty well aware of this option, if that is the case,
I fat-fingered something or had a thinko (mental bit flip?) and then
what I thought I knew about standby_mode=on was invalidated (perhaps
incorrectly).  I will confirm tomorrow.

--
fdr