Re: Streaming Rep 101 questions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Streaming Rep 101 questions
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 16:52, Gauthier, Dave <dave.gauthier@intel.com> wrote:
> Hi:
>

> I'm going to be experimenting with streaming replication using v9.0.1.  Here
> are a few questions I have at the onset...

You should use 9.0.3

> 1) Is it possible to replicate one database out of many that exist in the DB
> instance?  Or do you have to replicate them all?

No, you must do all.

> 2) Is replication transaction based?  That is to say, does the act of
> replicating a transaction wait until the commit on the server side?

Yes, it's transaction based, in the sense that it's transactionally
safe. No, you don't have to wait until commit on the slave side (which
I assume you mean). THat's sync rep, which is hopefully going to be an
option in 9.1.

> 3) I will be replicating to a DB server 2 timezones away initially, but
> perhaps from the US-> India at some future point.  Is the PG replication
> solution meant to do something like this (given sufficient bandwidth of
> course)?

Should work fine. As long as the connection is reasonably reliable
(doesn't go up and down every minute), a bit of latency shouldn't be a
problem.

> 4) The slave DB instance will also be v9.0.1 on linux, but it wil be a
> virtual machine.  Do you see any problem with that?

None other than potential performance issues if it's too slow.

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Binary_Replication_Tutorial

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/