Re: Open item: slave to standby in docs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Open item: slave to standby in docs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 8:44 PM, Takahiro Itagaki
<itagaki.takahiro@oss.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
> Ther is an open item:
> Standby instead of "slave" in documentation
> http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/1273682033.12754.1.camel@vanquo.pezone.net
>
> I replacesd almost all "slave" to "standby" or "standby servers"
> not only in HS+SR but also in other places like third-party tools.
>
> There are still 3 places where "slave" is used.
>  - Terminology: "... are called standby or slave servers."
>  - Words in old release notes for 8.2 and 8.4.
>
> Could you check those replacements are proper?

Some of these read OK, but others just don't sound right.  In
particular, "master/standby replication" just sounds odd.  I think the
word "standby" implies "a server that could take over for the master
if it died" while "slave" doesn't necessarily have that connotation.
So for example the changes to protocol.sgml read OK to me, but the
changes to high-availability.sgml I'm not a big fan of.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company