Re: Stumped by a version conflict. - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Patric Michael
Subject Re: Stumped by a version conflict.
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 4:08 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 4:31 PM, Patric Michael <bluestar43@gmail.com> wrote:

> Everything came back up as expected, with the exception of postgres.  When I
> went to start it manually, I got an error warning of an unrecognized
> tcpip_socket parameter in postgresql.conf.  Searching the 8.1 manual I
> discovered it had been deprecated in favor of listen_addresses.  Odd, but
> okay.

Is it possible you started 8.1 in a different directory by hand
(pg_ctl -D /my/other/dir start) many years ago and that the default
old install of 7.4 is sitting in the /var/lib/pgsql spot?

HI Scott.  I think if anything, the reverse is true.  It is entirely possible that I started 7.4 in a different directory by hand and that the 7.4 server had been running all this time.  Since I can't find any other instances pf pg_ctl, I may well have deleted the old tree afterward as Craig suggested. (And with me being unaware that it was the old version running and not the new.)

Truly, that's the only logical thing I can think of for an explanation.

My only concern at this point, and the one that makes me hesitate, is wondering whether or not the current database is somehow erroneously reporting itself as 7.4 when it is in fact 8.1.  Is there any other means aside from PG_VERSION for the binaries to determine which database structure was initialized?

Thank you for your reply.