Re: incrementing updates and locks - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Aras Angelo
Subject Re: incrementing updates and locks
Date
Re: incrementing updates and locks  (Craig James <craig_james@emolecules.com>)
List pgsql-admin
Daniel, Craig

The gaps are not really expected. It is set once only.
Its about printing packing slips for ecommerce orders. We have the ORDER ID sequence, but so many different stations are accessing these orders, if my station print the next 100 orders from the que, id like to give them values starting from  MAX(print_number_sequence so far) AND  +1, +2, +3, .... +100.

I hope this clears it better. I think a sequence can work. My concern was performance, as in the actual programming LOOP, querying the max field, assigning the row number, reissuing the max field. A sequence i guess, would perform better than a regular table index?